Why the Leafs Suck and How Can They Be FixedBook - 2009
Every year since 1968, Leafs fans have hoped the new season will be the one to break the Stanley Cup drought. Sadly, those hopes are usually dashed mid-season. In the biggest hockey market in North America, with such a huge and loyal fan base, how has the team missed it for so long?
Al Strachan has been covering the NHL for decades and has the behind-thescenes access to know what's gone wrong and why. spanning 40 years of fascinating Leafs personalities and stories, Al discusses
• how the downfall started and Harold Ballard perpetuated it
• why fans were ill-served in the battle for club ownership after Ballard's death
• the first and second Cliff Fletcher years
• the ineptitude of Ken Dryden, Mike Smith and Pat Quinn
• how other teams, such as Detroit, have had success and how Leafs management can thrive in the salary-cap era
• why Brian Burke may not be the saviour Leafs fans are hoping for and--most important--what can be done to make the Leafs suck less
For fans who love the Leafs (and those who love to hate them), Why the Leafs Suck is a revealing and sometimes shocking inside look at professional hockey.